N5.8BN Scandal- Minister of Agriculture Opens Up
The Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources Chief Audu Ogbeh, told the house of representatives committee on emergency and disaster preparedness on Monday that his ministry was not involved in the supply distribution of the controversial N5.8bn food grain to victims of boko haram attacks in the north-east.
The committee, which is chaired by a member of all progressive congress from Gombe State,Mr Ali Isa is investigating the expenditure of N17.8BN by the National Emergency Management Agency in the last one year.
The house has ordered the investigation after petitions alleged that the director-general of nema,Mr Mustapha Maihja, awarded contracts to the several firms in violation of due process, Maihaja had so far insisted that he has not committed any infraction.
On the Thursday the DG had stayed away from the hearing at the national assembly for the third consecutive time, forcing the panel to threaten to have him arrested if he failed turn up on MAY 31.
On Thursday , Ogbeh who was represented by the ministry’s director of food and strategy, Mr S.A.Haruna, told the committee that his ministry was neither briefed nor involved in the programme.
He stated ‘we did not attend any meeting concerning the federal government grains, our mandate is to keep the federal government stock, but on this N5,8bn, it appears the central bank of Nigeria decided to engage four companies