Eliminating Body Odour
Body odour can be very irritating especially to people around and sometimes most people that have body odour don’t get to know about their condition until they are told about it.
Normally, your sweat does not smell but when they are broken down by the bacteria naturally living on your body it becomes odious and no amount of scrubbing or deodorant can take the smell off.
Some other causes of body odour have been identified and they include poor hygiene, medical conditions like liver disease, heart disease, kidney disease, genetic metabolic disorders, chronic constipation, nutrient deficiencies or foods like onions, garlic, red meat, spices, caffeine, cigarette and alcohol.
In case you are having this problem and are wondering how you could eliminate it, here are simple natural tips that can be of immense help to you.
1. Improve on your personal Hygiene: Bath regularly- not bathing regularly or not bathing at all can trigger off body odour. The simple thing to do here is to bathe at least twice a day with an anti-bacteria soap.
There are people who relish wearing one clothe over and over again without washing it. This is like feeding your plants in the farm with lots of fertilizer. The bacteria on your body will grow tremendously and not only will they make you smell awful but cause you skin rashes. Regardless of your job, you shouldn’t wear one piece of cloth more than once without washing it.
2. Shave Pubic and Underarm hair regularly: Sweat increases the
moisture in your underarm and pubic area (groin) giving room for bacteria and yeast to thrive. Shaving off the hair in these areas keeps them fresh and clean with no room for bacteria to thrive.
3. Lemon Juice: Lemon juice has acidic properties which make life unbearable for odour-causing bacteria. To achieve this, cut a fresh lemon juice into two halves and apply the lemon on your underarms gently. Make sure you rub the juice properly on your skin and allow it to dry before having your bath.
Undiluted lemon juice can irritate your skin especially if you have a sensitive skin. You should dilute the raw juice with water and use a cotton pad to apply on your underarms. Doing this regularly can kill your body odour completely.
4. Use Baking Soda: Baking soda works like a natural deodorant and can absorb moisture from the skin thus very effective in reducing unpleasant body odour. Mix equal amount of baking soda and lemon juice and apply the mixture to your underarms without scrubbing. Leave it for some minutes and go have your bath.
5. Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is recognized as a natural skin cleanser and can even prevent cancer. This solution makes it impossible for odour-causing bacteria to survive by reducing the pH level of your skin. They also reduce the production of sweat by contracting skin pores. Dip a cotton pad in Witch hazel and dab under your arms and other parts of
your skin where you sweat a lot. Doing this will help you quickly eliminate body odour.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple vinegar lowers the pH level of the skin and makes the skin too uncomfortable for odour-causing bacteria to thrive. It is best to dab your underarm with a cotton pad soaked in vinegar after having your bath. But please don’t apply on broken skin.
7. Rosemary Herb: Rosmarinus officinalis, commonly known as rosemary is a natural antibacterial agent which protects the body from bacterial infections, prevent premature aging, and heal skin conditions.
There are different ways you can use Rosemary herb to control body odour. Add 1/2 cup of dry rosemary leaves to 4 cups of water and leave it to boil for 10-15 minutes. Use this water to pat your underarms as deodorant or add to your bathing water and soak in it for 15-20 minutes. Do this once every day and you will smell good all day long.
Warning- Pregnant women should not use Rosemary in large amounts and should avoid the essential oils. This is because Rosemary is a uterine stimulant in very high amount and the oil can cause miscarriage.
8. Sage: This fragrant herb reduces sweating and makes your skin uncomfortable for bacteria growth. By regularly using sage, you can reduce body odour. To achieve this effectively, you can either drink sage tea or mix sage oil with olive oil and apply the solution to your underarms.
Note: Sage must not be used by a pregnant or nursing mother.
By religiously following either of these natural tips you will say goodbye to your unpleasant body odour and smell fresh again.