5 Great Ways to Stop Snoring
While sleeping the surrounding tissues in the throat vibrate producing the familiar snoring sound. Reports reveal that “people who snore often have too much throat and nasal tissue or “floppy” tissue that is more prone to vibrate” while the position of the tongue also get in the way of smooth breathing resulting in the common snoring sound.
If you snore or have a partner who does badly, these five different ways work to minimize or even stop it.
1. Watch your sleep position: when you snore a lot, it’s best to sleep on your side as lying on your back makes the base of your tongue and soft palate collapse to the back wall of your throat, causing a vibrating sound during (snoring) during sleep.
2. Lose weight: being overweight is usually another reason people snore, this is because overweight people tend to have fatty tissue in the back of the throat that makes the ‘snoring’ sound during sleep. It’s best to drop a few pounds which can reduce the fatty tissue in throat as well which will decrease or even stop snoring.
3. Check sleeping environment/bedroom: dust, damp rooms, pillows, sheets and more can cause people to snore. Make sure to get rid of dust especially on fans, AC compartments etc.
4. Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills and sedatives: these are muscle relaxants that interfere with proper breathing. Alcohol and sedatives relax the muscles in the throat resulting in deeper sleep which aggravates snoring.
5. Clear nasal passages: if you have a stuffy nose, clear it before sleeping off as this helps you breathe more easily while sleeping.